This spring-on-a-plate risotto is for all the asparagus lovers out there. Featuring a load of both white and green asparagus, it really celebrates this fine and delicate produce. Easy to make, creamy, delicious, and both comfort food and fancy dinner at the same time. Flavored with the juice and zest of one lemon for an extra fresh and springy note. Topped with walnuts to make it hearty, filling, and nutritious.
But what about the coconut oil in the recipe, you might ask? Well, it is that bit of extra something for your taste buds. You may swap it for olive oil or rapeseed oil if you’re not into the taste of coconut.
|Springy Risotto with White and Green Asparagus|| |
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 500 g white asparagus
- 500 g green asparagus
- 300 g risotto rice
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
- 1 to 1,2 l vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- ½ bunch basil leaves, chopped
- Handful of chopped walnuts
- Some basil leaves
- Peel the onion and chop it finely.
- Wash the asparagus, remove the woody ends and peel the lower parts of the white asparagus stalks. Chop all asparagus stalks into bite-size pieces.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and fry the onion until translucent (without coloring).
- Add the rice and cook for 3-4 minutes (it will sizzle), stirring continuously.
- Pour in the wine and keep stirring. You can omit this step if you’re not using wine.
- Add the nutritional yeast to the vegetable broth and combine well; I find it’s easiest using a whisk.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the vegetable broth to the rice a ladle at a time, stir continuously. Wait for the rice to soak it all up before adding the next ladle full.
- Add the asparagus pieces to the rice with the second or third ladle of vegetable broth.
- Continue until you’ve used all or almost all the stock. You might need just 1 l of stock, so check the rice in between – it’s done when it’s soft but still a little al dente.
- Turn off the heat, and add chopped basil, lemon juice and zest, and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, taste test and adjust according to your taste.
- Serve topped with basil leaves and chopped walnuts.